The Indian National Science Academy promotes science and its use in India. It was originally established in 1935 and was known as the 'National Institute of Sciences of India' until the present name was adopted in 1970. The Government of India recognised it in 1945 as the premier scientific society representing all branches of science in India. In 1968, it was designated as the adhering organisation in India to the International Council for Science (ICSU) on behalf of the Government of India. It is headquartered in New Delhi.