Updated May 24, 2019
PedalTap is a retrofittable and affordable, hands free foot operated water dispensing device designed to reduce the spread of infectious disease and save water. It is modifying the existing water system for developing countries.www.pedaltapug.com, www.innovasepsis.com
In Uganda and most developing countries the most common tap is the manual tap where you have to use your hand to open the tap wash your hands and then use the clean hands to close the tap. If it is a tap at a public water point, there is 60% risk that you will walk away with an infection in your hands. Recommended practice is to rinse the tap after use, use your elbow to open and close the tap use tissue to open and close the tap, but these recommendations are often not being followed.
‘PedalTap’, is an affordable, portable hands free foot operated water tap dispensing system. The PedalTap technology is modifying the existing water tap system to create a no touch cost effective solution for developing countries that reduces the growth and frequency of potent and infectious diseases spread like flu, cholera, Ebola on existing taps. Effectve hand hygiene contributes 60% reduction in hospital care associated infectious and potent diseases spread in public faclities.
● No hand contact as the actuation is done by stepping on the foot pedal.
● It minimises or eliminates human errors since water only flows when the pedal is pressed and stops on release.
● The tap is easy to operate. This is because the user operates in a free standing posture, and there no need to bend or twist.
● It is a permanent mechanism, with no strings or hanging parts. The moving parts of the PedalTap are limited to the interior, thus elongating lifetime and improving aesthetics and user friendliness.
● Manual systems work well in developing countries since there is no or minimal running cost of powering the system by using electricity or batteries.
● Reduction in water wastage since water only flows with applied force. as soon as it is removed then it instantly cases
|New Implemented Countries||Rwanda, Kenya, Tanzania|
|Recruit||Chief Executive Officer 1, Chief Technical Officer 1, Chief Community Officer 1, Supply and operations planning lead 1, Marketing and sales Lead 1, Volunteers 37|