Updated Apr 04, 2018
This project is going to create a sustainable chain that aims to cultivate medicinal plant in neglected desert areas, by using rainfed or wastewater irrigation to produce Pharmaceutical oils and bioenergy, with further utilization of the residues for obtaining the organic agro products to achieve several environmental, health, social and economic impacts without compromising global food security.
Mohammad sanad Abu-darwishSend Message
This project is establishing a sustainable agro chain to addresses several challenges that are facing the sustainability of the farming system, to produce bioenergy and to solve the socioeconomic challenges in rural poor society without affecting the global food security
Due to the fact that global energy demand will rise up to 60% by 2030, the world is facing several environmental challenges which have made the world warmer by 0.6 °C. So far, all the ideas that seeking to produce renewable energy, are still not able to achieve all of the 17th United Nations goals of the sustainable development. For these reasons, the oil-producing Mediterranean medicinal plants are one of the best options that can be utilized to achieve the sustainable development worldwide. Despite that, the biofuel production is considered as one of the most appropriate solutions to mitigate climate change, but it still faces many criticisms because of its disadvantages to the environment, and food security.
This project is going to create a sustainable chain that aims to cultivate medicinal plants in neglected desert areas, by using rainfed or wastewater irrigation to produce Pharmaceutical oils and bio-diesel, with further utilization of the residues for obtaining the organic fertilizers and forage to achieve several environmental, health, social and economic impacts without compromising global food security.
Several integrated and overlapping environmental, health, socio-economic impacts will be achieved as follows:
- Rehabilitation of poor lands and combating desertification.
- Minimizing the heavy metal environmental pollution
- Renewing the groundwater
- Utilization and optimization of the wastewater effluent
- Reduction and mitigation of the climate change, carbon dioxide emissions, and environmental pollution by several ways
- Mitigation the environmental pollution and production of healthy agricultural raw materials that enter to the food chain.
- Encouragement and stimulation of the Mediterranean farming communities to rehabilitate the poor lands for the cultivation of the low input crops to produce the high outcome pharmaceutical oils and biodiesel.
- Achieving global food security by replacing non-food crops to produce biofuel instead of food crops (sugarcane, corn, and wheat).
- Creating low input sustainable resources to produce eco-friendly agro products.
- Creating new employment opportunities for both genders in the rural communities of the Mediterranean region.
|New Implemented Countries||Jordan, United Arab Emirates, Tunisia, Saudi Arabia|
|Recruit||3 managements , 2 farmers , 10 workers|
|New Feature||pharmaceutical oils , bio energy , bio fertilizers , bio pesticides|