Edu-Toons & Edu-Games bring curriculum-based animated classes for primary school education to "Out of School" and displaced children caused by the Covid-19 pandemic and also assesses actual learning outcomes using simple computer games.
Edu-toons & Edu-Games are useful during this Covid_19 pandemic as pupils will learn in the safety of their homes under parental supervision and still interact with teachers and other learners using mails or WhatsApp. Learning can be achieved by using both or either of Edu-Toons or Edu-Games. Both innovations work thus: SEE ALL
1. Edu-toons will be presented to children using the internet or u...
Edu-toons & Edu-Games are useful during this Covid_19 pandemic as pupils will learn in the safety of their homes under parental supervision and still interact with teachers and other learners using mails or WhatsApp. Learning can be achieved by using both or either of Edu-Toons or Edu-Games. Both innovations work thus: SEE LESS
1. Edu-toons will be presented to children using the internet or using traditional mass media channels (television and/or DVDSs). Therefore Edu-Toons can be accessed online or offline.
2. After children watch Edu-Toons, Edu-Games can be downloaded to access actual learning outcomes by engaging pupils to solve problems associated with lessons learnt. The Edu-Games platform will use similar themes and designs as the previous Edu-toons' lessons to engender children's interests and commitment to the game. Edu-games should generally not exceed 10 problem solving stages.
3. While pupils use Edu-games, actual learning can be measured online (if pupils are playing directly on the internet) or remotely (if it is downloaded). Children and other users of Edu-Games, who download it, can record and report assessment results to the Edu-Toons & Edu-Games team or to their teachers. The Edu-Toons & Edu-Games team will observe how quickly pupils solve problems, how many problems are solved and the nature of problems solved to measure the level of actual learning that occurred, the strength of the pupil and the right intervention to achieve actual learning.
Stage 2: Research & Development
Edu-Toons' pilot is in English & Hausa languages. The Hausa version was sent to Bridge Builders Foundation in Northern Nigeria to test-teach Alimanjiri children in their care. The English version is on social media with over 10,000 views & 51 likes.
Registered in Nigeria as Non-Profitin Nigeria as Non-Profit
Basic Education, Teacher Development and Training, Parent & Family Engagement and 1 MoreSEE ALL
Basic Education, Teacher Development and Training, Parent & Family Engagement and LiteracySEE LESS
Funds Raised to Date
Due to the Covid_19 pandemic, learning has been disrupted and many children are not really learning at home. This is due to parents not having the expertise to teach their children and the sudden disconnection of teachers from pupils. Edu-Toons & Edu-Games brings animated class lessons to children in their homes and also assesses them after the lesson to measure actual learning. Edu-Toons & Edu-Games also provides contacts to enable learners and parents keep in touch with designated teachers.
1. Classroom lessons are animated in fun and simple presentations called Edu-Toons. Edu-Toons will be shown on mass media channels such as televisions to children. It can also be downloaded from the internet. After watching, Edu-Games will be downloaded from the internet and played as a computer game to assess actual learning and identify knowledge gap. For feedback, the Edu-Toons & Edu-Games' team contact will be made available. The team will also follow up on learners who download content.
1. "Out of School" children: Many children at home due to the Covid_19 pandemic are not really learning and parents grapple with teaching due to lack of experience or curriculum. Edu-Toons & Edu-Games will provide assistance.
2. Displaced children: Conflicts in many Sub-Saharan countries deprive children of their rights (education, for instance). With globally stretched resources due to Covid_19, migrants face increased risk of not accessing education. Edu-Toons & Edu-Games can mitigate this
Mission and Vision
Covid-19 has disrupted learning & children suffer from the absence of education that essentially mould them. Consequently, Edu-Toons & Edu-Games ensures the continuation of learning wherever children are, using what they love (cartoons and games). Also, Edu-Toons & Edu-Games will make education standardized globally such that educational content in Africa will be the same in other continents of the world. Edu-Toons & Edu-Games will also boost collaboration between teachers and other stakeholders
1. Edu-Toons & Edu-Games brings qualitative education to "Out of School" and displaced children in their locations, thereby ensuring continuous learning based on school curriculum, even if they are not enrolled or attending school yet. 2. Edu-Toons & Edu-Games can identify and address learning gaps almost immediately after a class. This gives credence to the concept of actual learning. 3. Edu-Toons & Edu-Games will be based on school curriculum and will make up for lack of classroom textbooks and learning aids which is prevalent at this times, especially in Sub-Saharan Africa. 4. Edu-Toons & Edu-Games will standardize qualitative education content provision for every user and will also make education ubiquitous and cheap to every and any pupil/child irrespective of his or her economic class. 5. While Edu-Toons & Edu-Games are learning interventions, it will support teachers' training to improve teaching methods at schools.
Planned Goals and Milestones
1. Having an interactive website which will act as platform for collaboration between teachers, learners and other educational stakeholders. This website will not only serve as data base for Edu-Toons & Edu-Games but will be actively managed to create opportunities for learners to interact with teachers regularly. 2. Producing Edu-Toons & Edu-Games in several languages is another goal for the Edu-Toons & Edu-Games' team to address global educational needs.
|New Implemented Countries||Nigeria|
|Recruit||15 teachers, 20 Animators, 20 Game creators|
The Team Behind the Innovation
Familoni Nelson Abidemi aka Bidemi Nelson: She has a B.Sc and M.Sc in Business Administration & Management, respectively. She is a teacher & the author of Edu-Toons & Edu-Games. Bayode Babatunde (Ph.D): He specializes in Operational Research and is an ardent researcher. Mrs Modupe Oluyemi: She is a book author. Several of her books are used in Nigerian primary schools, one of them being Straight-Gate-Six-Sums-A-Day. Mr Bolu Jedidiah: He is a freelance animator who worked on Edu-Toons' pilot
EXECUTIVE TEAM INCLUDES WOMEN