● AWDF accepts applications from women’s rights organisations registered and working in DAC recipient countries in Africa and the Middle East (see country list in section II).
● AWDF funds women-led, women’s organisations as a priority. Organisations must have:
○ a track record of work on women’s rights,
○ a woman as organisational director/lead
○ a majority (at least 70%) of women staff
○ at least 70% women involved in the governing board/body
○ a stated commitment to women’s rights/gender equality in the organisational mission/vision/values
○ At least 70% of programmatic resources must be dedicated to direct programming on women’s rights;
○ the project applied for will be managed by a woman
● For Ananse and Pamoja grants, we will also consider applications from networks/coalitions formed by three or more women’s groups. In this case applications will be made by one lead organisation who will be responsible for administering and reporting on use of funds. Funds can only be distributed by the lead to a maximum of 4 named partner/network members who must also be based in the two regions.
● Organisations must demonstrate their capacity and financial management systems to effectively implement and account for grant funding and programme delivery.
● Organisations must have registration status that enables them to receive funds from foreign sources.
● Organisations must have been in existence for at least 3 years.